Poocherelli's Posts

Musings of a spiritual being, a dog lover,a friend to cats, a musician, a lover of God and the Episcopal church, and a female with a wicked sense of humor still seeking who she's supposed to be in this world, all rolled up into one being!

Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Practice of Meditation

What is it about us white anglo-saxon protestants (okay, Anglo-Catholics) that we are so terrified of the practice of meditation?It's one of those spiritual things that folks where I grew up thought might be practiced by "those foreigners", i.e., anyone not like us! The concept of contemplating one's navel, sitting in one of those pretzel-like yoga positions, and "ohm"-ing was made to seem almost heathen.

I am currently reading everything I can get hold of to learn about meditation, and I am practicing some different types of meditation on a daily basis. My spiritual journey is leading me toward this as a life-saving, sanity-saving, stress-reducing technique. The genetic disease I'm fighting has played havoc with my nervous system, and I've been on anti-depressants and an anti-anxiety med to function as a normal human being. I'm convinced that regular and effective meditation practice would eventually replace this mediCAtion practice!

More on this process as news develops. Film at 11. Your mileage may vary!

1 Comments:

At 6/03/2005 12:23 PM, Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

Have you read any Paula Huston books? I highly recommend HOLY WAY. It is great. I too come from the background of meditation being near demonic. I take meditation seriously now and find it a great way to welcome God into my thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

<
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I'm a product of the Texas Panhandle and now live in way south Texas, 20 miles from the ocean. I'm a music teacher, retired due to health reasons. I've raised beagles for years, but currently only have 1; His name is Webber, after Andrew Lloyd Webber. I have been adopted by a doxie/beagle/terrier/? mix named Poochie. Trying to make HIS name into a musical one brought variations like Puccini (a real opera composer) and Poocherelli. I also have been adopted by 3 feral kitties for whom I pay vet bills. They have attracted 3 more who are too feral to be touched yet. I am an Episcopalian grown from generations of Methodist roots, and happy to be so. I have a wicked sense of humor, but I'm generally quiet and a bit shy. I have always loved reading and writing, so here I am!

Powered by Blogger