Poocherelli's Posts

Musings of a spiritual being, a dog lover,a friend to cats, a musician, a lover of God and the Episcopal church, and a female with a wicked sense of humor still seeking who she's supposed to be in this world, all rolled up into one being!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

St. A's has a new piano! Praise God!

Wow--what a long, strange trip it has been. When my father died in 1999, it was finally possible to get both his estate and my mom's (who had died in 1993) resolved. With a tithe of my inheritance, I set up a memorial music fund at my church. Part of it was used some years ago to purchase a well-used but very serviceable electronic organ from a nearby community whose Episcopal church had been gifted with a new pipe organ. I continued using both the new-to-us organ and our old piano until my retirement as organist/choirmistress last summer. The piano is all that our current musician is using, and it has needed frequent repairs.

It was my joy as a bishop's committee member to be the piano committee when we determined that a new piano must be purchased. All of my internet research kept pointing to an excellent book by Larry Fine, called The Piano Book. It gives info based on surveys from piano techs as to the reliability of different brands, and it also has excellent information on the histories, warranties, and current prices of the multitude of piano brands out there.

Yesterday, the church pianist/choirmistress and I went to our local piano store to try out the two brands to which we'd narrowed our search. (Yamaha and Kawai) It was joyful to listen while she played, then to trade places. I really griped about the stupid, inconsequential music racks currently in vogue; The "stylish" ones are wide enough for about 2 sheets of music. No hymnals will stay up, nor could one have anyplace to put enough music to play a full church service. We also rejected the "apartment mute" center pedal. Listen, piano manufacturers! We downgraded to a less-expensive piano to get the usability and features we needed! The piano looks great, sounds great, has a terrific usable music rack AND the center sostenuto pedal which comes in handy (or footy??) every once in awhile.

Yep--I would have loved to have a Steinway in the sanctuary. I inherited my mom's studio model. However, they have priced themselves out of the small church market. We had their less-expensive Boston line on our final list--the brand is Steinway's design built by Kawai--but we opted not to go out of town. Perhaps I can will to the church my Steinway upon my death, and they can trade it in on whatever they want at that point!

There will be a dedicatory plate on this piano to the glory of God and in loving memory of my mom, who was a church organist (another denomination) for many years. How nice to have good quality music equipment for our little church as we struggle and grow. Thanks be to God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I'm a product of the Texas Panhandle and now live in way south Texas, 20 miles from the ocean. I'm a music teacher, retired due to health reasons. I've raised beagles for years, but currently only have 1; His name is Webber, after Andrew Lloyd Webber. I have been adopted by a doxie/beagle/terrier/? mix named Poochie. Trying to make HIS name into a musical one brought variations like Puccini (a real opera composer) and Poocherelli. I also have been adopted by 3 feral kitties for whom I pay vet bills. They have attracted 3 more who are too feral to be touched yet. I am an Episcopalian grown from generations of Methodist roots, and happy to be so. I have a wicked sense of humor, but I'm generally quiet and a bit shy. I have always loved reading and writing, so here I am!

Powered by Blogger